Congratulations on your decision to purchase a Sonic Relief!
You have taken the first steps towards relief and are now on the road towards effective, portable pain relief and improved quality of life.
Read this manual in its entirety before using your Sonic Relief. We recommend that you consult your physician or physical therapy practitioner before using this device.
To order additional Sonic Relief Devices or Sonic Relief Ultrasound Gel, visit the Buy Sonic Relief page.
Download your Sonic Relief User Manual & Treatment Guide
Or visit our web version of the manual by following the link below:
What To Expect:
Before you use your Sonic Relief Portable Ultrasound Device, you should note that Sonic Relief does not produce significant noticeable sound or motion. Some users mistakenly believe that the unit is not working or will not produce the desired effects because it does not vibrate or act like a ‘massager’. Sonic Relief is a Medical Device that provides low-dose therapeutic ultrasound – it is not a massager.
If the light on the unit turns on, the device should be working. You can run a ‘water-drop’ test to confirm the output of the device. To do this, follow these steps:
- Choose the high setting so that the light is on.
- Turn the unit over so the ‘head’ is facing upwards.
- Place a small drop (about half the size of a ten-cent coin) of water on the head.
- Ensure that the water does not run off the head onto the body of the device.
- Turn the device on for 10 seconds – the water should be visibly agitated and bubble and even mist.
- Turn the device off and wipe any water.
If you do not experience immediate pain relief, we suggest that you still continue to treat yourself for the duration of the recommended treatment regimen as outlined in your manual. While many users experience pain relief soon after first using Sonic Relief, some people with more persistent pain may not experience relief until after a week or more of regular use.
Some things to remember:
- Always use your Sonic Relief with ultrasound gel. Apply a generous amount of Sonic Relief ultrasound gel on the sound head and/or skin before your treatment to ensure it does not run out before the end of your treatment.
- If the gel does begin to dry out before the end of treatment, apply more to the sound head or on your skin over the treatment area.
- Do not leave your Sonic Relief turned on for any extended period (longer than about a minute) without contact to skin – keep the face of the ultrasound unit flat against the skin at all times. Do not tilt the sound head or lift it during treatment.
- Ensure you keep your Sonic Relief in constant, slow motion during treatment.
How to Use Your Sonic Relief Ultrasound Device
- Remove Sonic Relief Device and components from packaging.
- Plug cord into charging stand. Plug into regular wall socket or the USB end into a computer.
- Charge for minimum 1 hour before using the first time. It is recommended to replace Sonic Relief in the charging stand after use and charging so it’s ready when you need it.
- Position yourself comfortably, with the treatment area fully exposed.
- Apply a 25c size dollop of Sonic Relief Ultrasound Gel to the skin over the treatment area (location for each treatment area can be found below).
- Press the power switch – the panel will be lit when the machine is on.
- Choose the Intensity by pressing the up/down button to select the desired intensity based on the treatment manual. High, Medium, Low – choose high especially for long term or chronic conditions or those areas requiring deep penetration of sound waves (ie hips, knees, buttocks, back) and lower settings for areas that are closer to the surface of the skin.
- Apply the face of the ultrasound transducer head to the treatment area over the gel.
- Move the head of device slowly (3-4 cm/second) in a small, slow, circular motion using firm pressure to the skin tissue. The area treated should be about 2 inches or 5 cm in diameter (approximately twice the size of the device head). Keep the face of the ultrasound device flat against the surface of the skin at all times; do not tilt the device head during the application. Only lift the device head to reapply gel as needed and only for short periods of time.
- When the treatment is complete, the Sonic Relief will automatically turn off (1o minutes). Immediately clean the device head and skin with a paper towel or a soft towel.
Use Sonic Relief daily for the first 2 weeks at the daily frequency specified for your condition (below). After 2 weeks, reduce frequency of treatment to 3 days per week or as required.
Note: You will not feel any sensation – the sound waves are acting deep in the tissues to heal and reduce inflammation – although you may feel a slight tingling soothing feeling. Treatments with Sonic Relief should be pain free and comfortable.
If you feel heat or discomfort at any time during the treatment, reduce the intensity by pushing the intensity button. Or increase the treatment area and speed of application.
Ensure that you are using adequate amount of gel and that it isn’t dried out.
Do not exceed the recommended exposure times indicated in this manual unless directed to do so by a physician.
If there is no improvement, consult a physician or therapist for re-evaluation.